11 Aug 2015

Singapore's National Day and Rebounding with a sprained ankle

This is me, in my Red and White T-shirt on Singapore's 50th Birthday. I wore this shirt to Sunday Mass :) and was most happy to find like minded Singaporeans in red and white!

Copyright Fiona C Yeo 2015 (want to copy my picture for what, right?)

Wrinkles, eye bags and all but in national colours, no less!
I like to keep it real. This is me.
I think I look a bit odd. I am no expert in taking selfies. Always look cross-eyed! Anyhoo, it was a very nice weekend. We didn't really chase any SG50 activities as a family except for the last day when we drove around the island taking in the beauty of our tiny nation with pride and joy. It was very crowded everywhere. On August 9th, the boy had trotted off to take pics of the celebrations while the rest of us stayed home to watch the parade on TV. I know there's nothing like soaking in the atmosphere at the actual location but really, we had a bird's eye view of the whole parade via the TV. I even managed to cry when they showed clips of Mr Lee Kuan Yew and teared up with pride at different segments of the show.
Singapore. This is home, truly. (Dick Lee, I love you, by the way).

I am unique.
Only I can sprain my ankle while queuing to buy ORH LUAK (Fried Oysters)!
Yep. We were at East Coast Park having our SG50 Jubilee weekend family makan and it was the first dish I had gone to buy after securing a big square table for the plethora of dishes we were intending to order. It's not the first time I have sprained my ankle. Let's just say my ankles are 'sprain prone'. I was reaching our regular orh luak stall and trying to read the signboard to figure out the value of the dish I was going to buy when I missed a step (WHAT IS THAT STUPID STEP doing just 1 metre away from the stall???) and nearly landed on the floor. I caught myself in time but not before a million gazillion people around me saw Ms Elephant trying to regain her balance. It was soooo painful but I still managed to yell out my order (ahem, yeah). Nothing was gonna stop me from having my orh luak! I hobbled back to our table with my orh luak. Much to our disappointment, the oysters looked and tasted bluek. The standard has dropped. Much.

This is after we had whacked the Orh Luak and before the Satay arrived
 
Only the chai-tau-kway and kangkong were nice. The lala and sotong tasted the same! Short cut using same sauce to fry. Cheh.
 

Back to my sprained ankle. I was very annoyed with myself once I plonked myself back to our makan table. I asked my family how I was going to rebound. Bummer!!! I was really annoyed with myself. The family suggested I do sit-ups. I figured they were right but I was still annoyed with this set-back. I hobbled in pain for the rest of the night when we reached home and carried on with finishing up some housework while the kids got ready for the impending school day (daughter starts year 3 at uni by the way). After the family had exhausted their needs from MUM (me, yes me). I stripped down to my undies and stepped carefully on the rebounder. Much to my surprise, I was able to rebound with little pain from my foot. I'm not sure why but it was great! I was actually able to rebound with a sprained ankle. Do you know how great a feeling that was?

I couldn't put on my music because it was already late at night and I kept it to 20 minutes because I was very conscious of the noise the springs were making (was afraid to disturb the neighbours). I looked out the window and realised most of the lights in the surrounding blocks were switched off. Most unusual as some week nights, plenty of people are still awake. Must be exhausted from the activities of the Jubilee weekend. It was really nice, to be able to just relax and spend time with the family. ALL weekends should be 4 days. Hehe.

Anyhow, what I wanted to say was my Jubilee weekend saw me actually stretching my rebounding period to an hour. I must say, I wasn't tired even at the 45 minute mark. I think I can safely say that I can easily rebound for 30 minutes every day now without feeling tired.

As you may know, I usually keep my rebounding routine to 20 minutes. So for the long weekend, I decided to stretch it to 30, then 45, then before I knew it, I had hit an hour. Hubby's jaw dropped when he walked into the room after I had just ended my hour long routine and heard I had done an hour. He was very happy for me.

I of course didn't keep up the intensity. No rules remember? I took it easy for some slow songs. Bounced very softly for some songs, brought up the intensity for some other songs. If I am exercising my arms, I may go slow with my legs and vice versa. 

As for my diet (diet as in my food intake, not any particular restricted diet), I'm still on my KOK journey (Kopi-O-Kosong / black coffee, no creamer/no sugar, no nothing, nadah). I know, KOK sounds bad. That's the whole point. Now you will remember what I consume.

 
How we sometimes drink our kopi in Singapore; transparent glasses; spoon sticking out. 
No fancy cups and saucers although some kopitiams may use thick chunky ones.

Kopi-O-Kosong tastes bad but not that bad anymore. I didn't stick to one (diet). Daughter had friends over so I cooked my usual, beehoon (fried vermicelli), which I ate a lot of because I love my own beehoon. LOL. Curry, chicken wings and Aglio Olio. I guess my hour long rebounding took care of the food overload because I didn't feel extra puffy or heavy. Nor did it show up on the scale.

My fried beehoon. Copyright Fiona C Yeo 2015.
and what I usually eat the beehoon with; chilli!!!
 
 
Chicken wings cooked in the Philips Air Fryer.  
Yep. NO OIL!!! Can you believe it? Not even I can believe it.
I am not sponsored in anyway and copyright of the picture belongs to me; Fiona C Yeo 2015.

 
Taking the advice of hubs and kids, I will be taking it slow on the rebounder this week because of my sprained ankle. I'll just do 20 mins and then work on my stomach. Will also try to watch my food intake this week. This way, I hope there won't be too much damage done. Don't wish to undo the efforts of my Jubilee weekend workout! I'm thinking I will do my hour long routines on Fridays (because I don't work on Saturdays), Saturdays and maybe Sundays too. Then on weekdays, I will keep my routines to 20 minutes for ahem 'maintenance'. My kids were in my room last night as I was folding the family laundry (on our bed. yep, matrimonial bed). They hopped on the rebounder and asked each other mockingly if it really worked. In their words, "This thing really works, meh?"
It's a start. I've churned enough interest. Hehe.













No comments: