24 Aug 2015

Rebounding update - Blood Pressure Surprise!

I have to say that I pigged out the entire weekend and thus, my weight went up. I rested Friday night because it had been a long day at work and I just didn't feel like it. But I did rebound intensely for 30 minutes both on Saturday and Sunday.

The weighing scale depressed me. The little bit of weight I had lost, I had piled on again. But I haven't gone beyond my 'original' weight so I should be glad. On the other hand, non-weightloss aside, I am happy to say that I received a wonderful surprise!

Okay, I might as well not keep it private because if I am going to share to help anyone out there, then this has to be said. Before I started rebounding, my blood pressure readings hovered at a high 140s / 100s. On bad days, it would go up to 150s / 110s. Yes, scary. That's when I decided I had to get off my *ss to really make a lifestyle change.

So if you've been following my posts, you will know that I am not following any strict diet. I am eating the portions and foods I am usually eating except that I have made a conscious effort to cut sugar and milk from my coffee and to eat less rice. I still do eat sugar and I still do eat rice. It's just making an effort to reduce my intake. I have also been rebounding on my mini-trampoline (aka rebounder) for about 20-30 minutes for at least 5 days a week. I've only been doing this regularly for about 2 months.

My blood pressure has not gone lower than 130/85 in a very long while. Not even when I was sick (remember I wrote that I had been very sick while taking my TDVL course?). Therefore, I was first surprised when I had vertigo and gone to the doctor. He recorded 136/67 and told me my BP was fine. I didn't argue. I thought his manual BP machine was faulty. From the past week, my BP has been consistently lowering. I can tell you that the battery is working fine AND because I could not believe it, I had taken both arms and the readings were about the same.

When I got off the rebounder last night after an intense 30 minute workout, it was already late at night. I cooled down, then went to take my bath. When I came out, I lay on the bed and did some surfing on the net before I decided to check my BP. To my surprise, the reading was 124/80. I was like, WHAT? So I took it again. 128/87. I was quite stunned.

Hubs was already fast asleep. So I kept my excitement to myself. Then my morning reading was 132/84 which if it remains this way, is a really 'good' reading for me already. If I can maintain it at this, I am quite sure I won't need to be put on High Blood Pressure meds.

I can tell you, that I am super excited. You know, when I used to get my BP taken at the polyclinic's BP stations before I actually got to see the doctor, I'd always get told that my readings are very high and I'd be advised that it was due to the fact that I had just arrived. So I'd be told to rest for a while before getting my BP taken again. Maybe it's white coat hypertension (where patients feel more anxious when they have their BP taken by medical staff and thus show higher readings than they normally would) but I have ruled it out because I was also getting high readings at home.

So, is it the exercise or the KOK meals that are helping me in lowering my blood pressure? I don't know but I think I like the way things are going (except I'd be happier with some weight loss). I'm going to start to reduce the portions of my meals to see if this will help me with the weight loss. Meanwhile, I'm really happy with the BP readings and wonder if I can actually fall to the 120s/70s and keep it there.

No comments: