24 Feb 2012

Bento #1

Yesterday, I was at work when I suddenly decided to go buy some Bento supplies to make cute Bento meals for my TEENAGE kids. Ha ha. Yep. TEENAGE kids.

Awww....come one. I've always been young at heart, a bit crazy and a little on the wild side. Is making cute Bento for my teenage kids so crazy? I know it's usually done for young kids to entice them to eat. Anyway, on a whim, I went and bought two gigantic bags worth of Bento supplies. Mainly plastic shapers for the rice, cookie cutters, veg and bread cutters and colourful washable cupcake holders. I didn't manage to find any cute plastic sticks but that's reason to go shopping again, isn't it?

So I went home after shopping, quite deadbeat to find the kids starving. Fortunately, working mum had bought an entire Sarpino's Pizza and two bags of Taiwanese chicken chops (those deep fried and tossed in delicious spicy seasoning). I too was starving. Grabbed my bags of chopped veg and shredded chicken from the fridge and sat at the table downing them in sambal belachan (shrimp chilli mix) while watching the kids dig into such unhealthy and totally delicious food. Couldn't resist it (felt like kicking myself after) but I HAD to have a gigantic slice of pizza. Hmmmmm....it was delicious. But the dough did make me feel a bit too full after. I think I really do not feel so good after eating alot of carbs. Anyhow, I'm not talking about my new eating habits. I'm suppose to be talking about this:


Bento #1 - My miserable first attempt at Bento making. This was to be my 17 year old daughter's lunch for the next day. Ha ha ha. Does her mum have a good sense of humour or what?
Thought the frog Bento set was so adorable. Wait till you see my 15 year old son's Bento set. Ha ha.

I didn't intend to make the Bento set that very night but I wanted to surprise my daughter so I had to make do with some plain rice and canned corn beef. I did have the seaweed and Japanese soya sauce (for when we eat sushi) at home and I packed them in these adorable plastic soya sauce containers. I hope that at least made the Bento more palatable to her. After she took these pics, I snuck in 2 cherry tomatoes I put the whole set it in the fridge. Must eat veg, mah!

Aiyoh, terrible first attempt and she went and put up the pic on facebook. Alamak!

Hubby came home and I had intended to hide my mountain of Bento supplies from him but had failed miserably. He just sat at the table and shook his head. Asked me where our kindergarten kids were. Said I must be enjoying myself because it's like art and craft. So right he is! My teenage kids should be expecting more cute cuts on their food from now on. So should hubs. Muahahahaha....

STAY YOUNG FOLKS!!! It's all in your mind!





No comments: